Thursday, September 4, 2008

Boingo Supports Sony Ericsson Handsets

Boingo Wireless now supports  Sony Ericsson UIQ 3.0 handsets. Owners of those devices now can download the Boingo Mobile application to get online worldwide at more than 80,000 Boingo hotspots. Boingo Mobile supports Wi-Fi enabled Sony Ericsson W960i, P1i and G900 models.  

 

Boingo’s network includes more than 500 airports, including 85 of the top 100 airports worldwide, as well as hotels, coffee shops, restaurants, cafés and retail locations.


As an aside, I have been attempting to test the Boingo Wi-Fi network in my normal travels. The issue for me is that I am an untypical user. There is fixed broadband at every tethered location where I normally work and I have a Verizon Wireless 3G card for mobility. 


At some airports I also have access to the T-Mobile Wi-Fi network, especially at Denver International--which also offers its own free service--and at the Dulles International Airport, where I also have T-Mobile Wi-Fi access for no additional fee.


The Boingo software is really easy to use, I will say that. 


My particular issue is that the T-Mobile hot spot signal normally is much stronger (I'm right under the radios) where I normally am sitting in either Denver or Washington. Moreover, I have the 3G card, so I typically slap in the 3G card without worrying about the Wi-Fi. 


I normally can get in some minutes of use after boarding the plane by using the 3G, and typically cannot get signal with any Wi-Fi provider out on the tarmac.


I do have a Nokia N95 with Wi-Fi access, so I have been thinking I should test the Boingo service with the mobile. But I am not a typical user. I do lots of keyboard entry, so when I am in a stationary location, my preference is to power up the PC. 


In my case, Wi-Fi is a secondary or backup service for a PC. The other mobile I carry does have mobile data access as well, so there's even more complication. 


If I didn't have 3G and other options, there's no question Boingo would be useful, either for PC or mobile handset access. 

 


No comments:

Where Will AI Prove an Existential Threat to Whole Industries?

Right now, we all speculate about the potential changes artificial intelligence might bring, as well. Predictions range from the existential...